Monday, September 22, 2008

Battle of the foliage II

My brother who runs an inn in Vermont took umbrage at my comment about fall foliage. In his defense, he posted some photos that are, without question, spectacular. And the shot of the river that runs through his back yard makes the lovely, treed horse pasture behind mine look like the city dump.

So, here are a few shots of the fall foliage along the Wasatch range. Note that I won't be posting anything with our churches or bridges as a backdrop. As great as our canyons and mountains are, I'll concede that the beauty is more ubiquitous in New England, where poor urban planning and the super-saturation of big box stores and chain restaurants isn't pervasive.






So, you decide. Is Utah foliage, at its best, as good as the vibrant fall colors at every turn in New England, or am I seeing through Zionist glasses? Either way, I'm looking forward to this weekend, when my wife and I are going to an overnight marriage retreat at Aspen Grove, up Provo Canyon--but I'd rather be spending the weekend at my brother's inn. Hopefully, the golden aspens will be in full swing.

1 comment:

Michael Carr - Veritas Literary said...

Nice pictures. That last one looks a lot like the mountains up here.

I think the one that is most different from what you can see in Vermont is the one with the mountains above the tree line. There are some mountains in the northeast that rise above the tree line, but not as dramatically as in the Rockies or along the Wasatch Front.