Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Degrees of separation

I'm continually surprised by the common connections I find in life. Sites like Facebook and LinkedIn exploit this, of course. Several times I've been surprised to find common acquaintances through those sites. I think maintaining a presence on LinkedIn is important both to stay in touch with contacts and to discover some of those hidden connections.

Within tight-knit communities like the LDS church, such connections seem to be even more common. We've found several unknown connections since we've moved here, which is surprising given that I had virtually no ties to Texas and my wife's Texas relatives are all non-LDS. Just last night, we went to pick up the pinewood derby track from a member of the next ward over and found out that their son played in the Utah Premiere Brass with my wife. A few weeks ago, it was discovering that a guy I home teach was childhood buddies with a friend H and I had when we lived in Chile. Another family in the ward is longtime friends with a close colleague from my last job. A lawyer down the hall serves in a bishopric with a guy I went to law school with. And there are several more. Discovering such connections makes long moves easier. As the Apostle Paul said, when you join the Church,"Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the houshold of God." And Facebook friends, to boot.

No comments: