Monday, June 30, 2008

Another concert + inlaws

I got to play with my wife's band again last night. It was blazing hot during the concert; the sun came from behind the clouds shortly before it started and went back behind the clouds as we were playing our encore ("Stars and Stripes Forever;" what else did you expect for a brass band at this time of year?). Nevertheless, it was fun to be able to play in another concert. I may have a chance to play later in July at a concert in southern Utah, but I'm not sure if we can work out the logistics with kids and an unfamiliar setting. We've been fortunate to have my parents at the two concerts I played in, as well as my wife's parents last night, but we probably would be on our own this time around, so I may not get another chance. Once the fall concerts start, they'll have better musicians to sub, plus our kids don't really allow us to both attend rehearsals every Saturday morning. But I'm hopeful I can sub again next summer.

As I mentioned, my wife's parents are in town, but they haven't been staying with us. They've been at my wife's great-uncle's home about 15 miles away since Friday evening. Sometime today, they'll hit our place and be there the rest of the week. Fortunately, I get along with them pretty well, but guests are always a bit stressful under the best of circumstances, so I hope all goes well.

No comments: