Thursday, October 29, 2009

Texas bound

As most people who read this blog probably know by now, yes, I am moving to Texas. I got the call last Friday with a verbal job offer, and the written offer followed in the mail. All I have to do is pass a background check (please, no identity theft) and a drug test, and I'll be headed to Houston. The job sounds very interesting, the company is on sound footing, and the salary is more than I expected--quite a bit more.

This will be a new chapter for our family. Between school, work, and internships, I've spent time in Oregon, California, Utah, Colorado, Indiana, Pennsylvania, and Connecticut--every region of the country except for the South. And Texas. Because I'm not sure whether to say Houston is in the South--they were part of the Confederacy and it's hotter and farther South than almost the entire South except for Florida. On the other hand, Texas has influences from the Southwest and Midwest. Houston is also very cosmopolitan, as there is a very international influence from the many global companies--especially oil companies--located there. In the end, maybe the old saw that Texas is a whole other country will prove to be correct.

I will very much miss the mountains and deserts of Utah, and I will especially miss my family members who live here, as well as some very good friends. But I feel like this opportunity is too good to pass up. More importantly, my wife and I have made it a matter of careful discussion, thought, and prayer, and we both feel like this is where we are supposed to be right now.

And, to my wife's family members in Kansas City, at least we're moving a little bit closer.

No comments: