Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Keeping wanderlust at bay

I've decided not to return to my former firm. I don't think they had the appetite to invest the resources in developing the kind of corporate practice I want. After I met with them and asked a lot of hard questions, I had decided to decline the offer, and I think they basically reached the same conclusion, that they want me, but that they're not willing to make big changes for me. And, frankly, I can't blame them. I'm one mid-level associate and they are a firm that has been around over a hundred years and is generating plenty of coin for the partners. In the end, it just wasn't a great fit, which is how I ended up here in the first place.

I'm still open to discussions with other firms, and I've found a couple of firms with big offices locally that have great opportunities; the opportunities just happen to be in their offices in other states. I don't think I'm ready for something so drastic.

No comments: