Friday, July 18, 2008

Recruiting follow-up

So, my day yesterday went pretty much as expected.

I started out visiting with the head of the corporate and tax group at a firm that had previously told me they liked me but didn't have any openings for someone at my level right now. Through persistence, I got an interview, but he pretty much told me the same thing, but that he'd like to keep in touch if I don't end up going somewhere else right away. He did say that he thought I might also be a good match for a position in their IP group and that he would circulate my resume there. That would be a possibility if I could develop from that and do transactional work with a technology focus.

The meeting with my old firm was interesting. They have moved into new offices since I was there, and they are exceptionally nice, as nice as any in the state right now, at the top of a high-rise with great views of the city and valley. Nevertheless, I don't think that going back there is the right thing to do. They want to build their corporate and technology practice, but their strengths are not in that area, and I worry that my presence would not do enough to change that such that they would get lots more clients with the sort of work I want. They've going to make a formal proposal to me, but as of this moment, it seems unlikely.

At the third firm, my friend was unable to do much as far as setting up meetings, but we did discuss a soft IP/technology position that would be a good fit--that's the job in Portland. I'm not yet ready to move my family to another state, so that's probably off the table for now, but he's going to talk with the appropriate partner in the local office and see whether they may have a similar opening locally. That's something I would look at under the right circumstances.

The house I looked at was in crappy shape and the realtor told me that the bank needs to cut the approved price by about 100k--it's a short sale--to move it.

Bottom line, no big change, but I'm at least planting seeds that may come to fruition later. I've got to admit, part of me would be relieved if no good offers were forthcoming, because I could then stay in a job I still like without making any difficult decisions. I know that people with my skillset and a couple more years experience are in good demand at many corporations, so there will be many more opportunities for new adventures even if I never go back to a law firm.

No comments: