Friday, November 14, 2008

Outside counsel interview

My interview with outside counsel for the tech company went well, except for a couple of quirks. The company had called me the day before asking about the fact that I live an hour away and asking if that is a problem. I don't even know if that question is legal, but the outside counsel raised it again yesterday. Umm, I know where the job is, and I wouldn't have applied if that was a problem. Thanks, next question.

The next question the outside counsel asked was, "Are you married?" What?? Isn't this guy an attorney? Everyone, especially every attorney, knows that that is an illegal question to ask in a job interview. He described the CEO and CFO as working "24/7." I guess he was trying to tell me that the combination of the commute and the likely hours at first merit reflection before accepting for a family man like myself. But that is not legal!

What do you do in a situation like that? If you are interested in the job, you keep your mouth shut, because if you complain you probably don't get the job, as there are plenty of legitimate reasons they could hire someone else for this job. It didn't bother me much, but attorneys especially should know better.

Other than that, the interview went well. We had a good rapport, and I could see myself working with him as outside counsel if I took the job. I am concerned about the hours and also the risk involved, though. The attorney was frank in his assessment of this position as high risk, but the rewards are also potentially very high. If I take the job, I will have to rely on the strength of my resume to get me another job if this one doesn't work out. All things considered, though, I'm inclined to take the job if it is offered and a compensation package is structured such that the risk is balanced by a significant potential financial upside. If I'm offered merely a salary or token equity/incentive compensation, it's probably not worth the risk right now, given the current economic situation. I still also need to meet with the CEO and see their financials before I can make that determination, though.

No comments: